Friday, January 29, 2010

Here's the thing...




So.... I know that this is post no...2... but this is kindof the introductory post for me.... this is to give a bit of background on who we are, what we do, and what we are planning to do...

I am Shell... (Michelle), I have just completed my Diploma in Jewellery design. I am a bit of an arty person all round, dabbling in photography, digital manipulation, painting etc, but it is in Jewellery where my real passion lies... I love the alchemy behind shaping a simply piece of metal into wearable art... giving it shape and texture, adding gemstones or bone.... putting my mark on it... so to speak.... My jewellery is slightly macarbe, with pagan and old world undertones, I'm inspired by all things dark and unusual, and I like to give all my pieces meaning; whether that be an inspired story behind the piece, a tribute to the materials themselves, or some kind of Michelle type quirk.... (check out my Hinged Vampire Fang Ring, or my Shackle
Rings)....


My work is grounded in real world objects; enhanced and adapted into jewellery. Most are based on gothic, Victorian, pagan or medieval themes, and other major themes that recur in my work are of attachment/ being bound, being grounded in mortality, and of life and death (Memento Mori).

Rather than going into detail on what my partner Eirlysa and my mother Susan will be bringing into the mix that is Cobweb Designs, and my family, I will let them to their own introductions when they have a chance (plus their work speaks for itself).... I will however give you a quick briefing on where we are in our business development to date...

Cobweb Designs is a dream my family and I have had for a long time.... It has been a desire of ours to have our own shop attached to our house where we can do our own thing, and be our own bosses.... We live in this quaint and aesthetically beautiful town of Cygnet in Southern Tasmania, and it is filled with Artists, musicians, cafe's and culture... my family and I moved here when I was 9 and 17yrs later I'm still here, and loving it... I work full time at the Red Velvet Lounge cafe, which is a great place for coffee and food, and lucky for me it is right opposite my new home.....

31 Mary St, or 'The Gallery', as my family and I like to call it, is (as you can see in the header picture of this blog), an extraordinary storybook style house/cottage/gallery..... and we are currently leasing it from a friend of ours who is also an artist, and has done a lovely job in restoring it to its current beauty.... in Feburary/March we will be officially purchasing the house, and will then open up an art gallery/studio as Cobweb Designs.... my jewellery studio is currently being constructed in a side room to the gallery, and we are in the process of painting walls and finding other 'ispired' artists to contribute their work to the gallery....

... our aim is to have a business that provides the customer with an entire otherworldy experience, full of wonder and enchantment... not only will they find quality and unique silver jewellery, they will see it being made.... they will get to explore the illustrative art of Eirlysa, whose enchanting women and creatures have so many hidden depths, hours are needed to truely enjoy each painting.... in the gallery there will only be hand made Tasmanian work that is alternative and feminine... Cobweb Designs underlying creed is to 'honor the goddess'... and the themes that will be explored within the work include the cycles of birth, death, and renewal.

So..... March is the month we hope to open.... of course, we will keep you updated on our progress.... over the last week we have started to re-paint the floor and one wall in the gallery (which was grey foor and white walls), and now we have 'seductress' red feature wall (specifically for Eirlysa's artwork), and a deep 'indian red' floor, which at the moment is looking a little too bright, so that might change again in time...


right...

off I go now.... to do more stuff....

cheers,

Shell x

No comments:

Post a Comment